NO LONGER ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS
Catamount Arts supports independent curators of contemporary art by making it possible for them to realize diverse visions in its non-profit exhibition space in St. Johnsbury, Vermont. We are currently accepting proposals for 8-12 week exhibitions beginning Fall/Winter 2023-2024.
The concept behind the exhibitions must be original, but this can go in any direction. Curators might choose to organize an exhibition around medium or process—or choose to investigate social, cultural, historical, theoretical or political ideas. They may choose to include works in a single medium or several media. We are interested in fresh, new ideas that present contemporary visual art in interesting ways.
Proposals must be submitted electronically and must include the following:
- Curatorial Statement of Concept and Exhibition Title (suggested length: approximately 200-300 words).
The curatorial statement of concept must begin with an exhibition title followed by a summary of your curatorial intention or basic idea behind the show.
- Artist List (suggested length: 35-75 words per artist)
The artist list should list and briefly describe each artist and how their work supports your curatorial ideas. Please note: proposals that envision a general call to artists will not be considered.
- Curator’s Bio and Resume
The curator should provide brief bio and resume listing related curatorial experience (such as past exhibitions and related programming), plus website if available.
- Artist Bios
The curator should provide brief bios, plus websites (if available) for each artist they propose to include.
- Proposed Public Program (50-100 words)
At least one public presentation that expands on the exhibition is encouraged. Presentation might be a curatorial talk or gallery tour; interviews or panel discussions with exhibiting artists; or presentation of a related film in one of cinema spaces adjacent to the gallery. Regardless of type of presentation—in person or virtual—Catamount Arts staff will provide technical support.
A minimum of 5 images that support your proposal will be reviewed in Slide Room. Those who are selected as finalists will be asked to provide additional images of proposed work.
Catamount Arts will provide:
- a $2,500 USD curatorial stipend to cover curation of an original exhibition, plus any related expenses such as transport.
- public relations support, such as release of press materials to media, advertisements and calendar listings, emails to mailing list, inclusion in our newsletter and posts to our social media feeds
- duplication of material for distribution at the exhibition
- physical assistance in preparing the space and installing the work
- gallery signage, labels, and title wall vinyl
- insurance of artwork once onsite
- an opening reception with refreshments (when possible)
- hotel accommodation on night of opening reception
In return, the Curator will:
- Select artwork and act as liaison with exhibiting artists
- Arrange for transport of artwork to and from the gallery
- Provide complete checklist with images (artist, date, medium, dimensions) to submit to insurance companies, provide information for loan forms, as well as labels and signage, and for gallery book.
- Provide text (description of show, artist bios and other) for press releases, gallery book, web updates, etc.
- Be available to installer (either in person or via zoom or Facetime) to assist with placement of artwork prior to installation
- Be present for opening reception (or for a virtual opening and or presentation when in person is not possible)
- Be available for interviews with media as needed
Further questions? Please contact Catamount Arts Artistic Director Molly Stone via e-mail at email@example.com.